Saturday, September 1, 2012

Listography - Top 5 songs I grew up to.

It's been awhile hasn't it? Poor old Listography - cast aside for the Summer months, time to give it some love.

This Listography is all about those first songs you listened to as a child - the ones you found yourself singing on the way to school and getting excited about when they came on the 'wireless'. (Ok I'm not that old really but you get my drift).

Here are mine:

1. Ian Dury and the Blockheads - 'Hit me with your rhythm stick'.
Probably the first 'pop' song I remember falling in love with. At the grand old age of six I had no idea what it was about but it didn't stop me belting it out. My poor mother.

2. Cindy Lauper - 'Girls just want to have fun'.
I remember watching the video to this on Top of the Pops with my older brothers and sisters. Top of the Pops was strictly banned in our house but since Dad was out our Mum turned a blind eye and we were all quite for at least half an hour.

3. Dexy's Midnight Runners - 'Come on Eileen'.
I could have listened to that song on a loop forever. Had I had a tape deck, or indeed the tape.

4.  Nena - '99 red balloons'
Still think it's gorgeous. Even if it was about the cold war. And her dancing was crap. And she had hairy pits.

5. Pat Benatar - 'Love is a battlefield'
So yes. I can see now that the video is a complete embarrassing cornfest. And even at ten I knew that shaky warrior dance thing was a bad idea, but I still thought she was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Ten isn't the best age for taste is it?



So what are your songs you grew up to? Pop them down in a post and then come back here to put your posts url in the linky below. Then show some Listography love by visiting some of the other entries.

Never heard of Listography? You can read more here.

Looking forward to singing along with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...