Monday, March 16, 2015

Mass and kids - not always a great combination

Credit

I took the kids to mass yesterday.

As it's Marley's communion year we're supposed to be going as much as possible - which isn't really often enough in our case. So what with it being Mother's Day I thought I would use the emotional blackmail I had on hand and get all three of them to go.

I knew it could be trouble when we sat down waiting for the start and Baxter asked loudly if mass was nearly over now. Oh dear.

As the 'bor-rrring' mass went on his behaviour got worse and worse - lying down on the bench, sighing loudly and asking could we go yet.

Annoyingly I had uncharacteristically cleared my handbag out a few days previously so the usual raisons \ pens \ toy car supply was non-existent. All I had at my disposal to amuse him was the mass missalette. Great fun.

So we devised a game. He sat on my lap and pointed out any words he knew how to read. We got a good five minutes out of that one.

Then I pointed out the word G-O-D and asked him to find all the other instances of the word on the page.

'There!'

- he exclaimed all pleased with himself. 

'And there!' 

- he said a little louder. 

I shushed him, asking him to whisper - but he took it as a sign to start shouting.

'God!' 
'God!' 
'God!'
- he pronounced to the amused congregation as he pointed out the words.

'I FOUND GOD!'

Well at least somebody did. We slunk out of the church shortly after.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...